[Stratos-dev] Project Stratos deliverables and STR-9

François Ozog francois.ozog at linaro.org
Mon Aug 17 15:45:57 UTC 2020

On Wed, 12 Aug 2020 at 00:44, Stefano Stabellini via Stratos-dev
<stratos-dev at op-lists.linaro.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I am writing this email in regards to Project Stratos following up on
> Mike's suggestion to clarify the deliverables.
>
> Project Stratos has three main deliverables:
>
> 1) type-1 hypervisor boot orchestration
> 2) VMM with safety island and Trust Zone components
> 3) refactored, optimized virtio
>

> We had a few discussions on the topics and I think we are all on the
> same page, but I thought it would be good to expand a bit on them and
> also get in your feedback on 3).
>

> 1) corresponds to STR-10. In the short term it means adding system
> device tree support for static hypervisors with a reference implementation
> in Xen. It involves adding support for virtual machines to the system
> device tree specification, and implement the specification in Xen.
>
> 2) corresponds to STR-11. The current wording is a bit confusing. We
> haven't settled on whether it should be based on Zephyr or based on
> Rust. I don't have a strong opinion either way but I have a preference
> for Zephyr. In any case, 2) is about having a non-Linux dom0 environment
> that can boot on the Cortex-As or out-of-cluster on the Cortex-Rs/Ms (to
> monitor VMs running on the Cortex-As.)
I am not sure there is an "exclusive or" between Zephyr and Rust. I
think we can think of VMMs as:
- Rust unikernel running in a cortex A partition
- Zephyr app
- Rust Zephyr app on  Cortex M
Are those possible targets ?
I also think that the Zephyr App is the most interesting step at present.

--
François-Frédéric Ozog | Director Linaro Edge & Fog Computing Group
T: +33.67221.6485