[Stratos-dev] Project Stratos deliverables and STR-9

Stefano Stabellini stefano.stabellini at xilinx.com
Tue Aug 11 22:44:12 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I am writing this email in regards to Project Stratos following up on
Mike's suggestion to clarify the deliverables.

Project Stratos has three main deliverables:

1) type-1 hypervisor boot orchestration
2) VMM with safety island and Trust Zone components
3) refactored, optimized virtio

We had a few discussions on the topics and I think we are all on the
same page, but I thought it would be good to expand a bit on them and
also get in your feedback on 3).

1) corresponds to STR-10. In the short term it means adding system
device tree support for static hypervisors with a reference implementation
in Xen. It involves adding support for virtual machines to the system
device tree specification, and implement the specification in Xen.

2) corresponds to STR-11. The current wording is a bit confusing. We
haven't settled on whether it should be based on Zephyr or based on
Rust. I don't have a strong opinion either way but I have a preference
for Zephyr. In any case, 2) is about having a non-Linux dom0 environment
that can boot on the Cortex-As or out-of-cluster on the Cortex-Rs/Ms (to
monitor VMs running on the Cortex-As.)

3) is about addressing some of virtio's limitations particularly evident
with type-1 hypervisors. In the short term it means getting Virtio to
run well with a type-1, Xen being the reference. In particular, this
deliverable is expected to enable virtio backends to run well in an
unprivileged virtual machine environment. (Today, the virtio backends
have to run in an environment with privileges over the entire system.)

3) is supposed to correspond to STR-9, but actually I don't think
STR-9's description matches the virtio deliverable that we have under
Stratos. It looks like STR-9 comes from LBI-24, not from LBI-40.

If my understanding is correct, should we create a new STR Jira ticket
to cover 3)?

Cheers,

Stefano