[Stratos-dev] Interesting QEMU thread on Rust

Alex Bennée alex.bennee at linaro.org
Fri Aug 7 10:25:36 UTC 2020

Hi,

People on this list might be interested on a thread currently being
discussed on qemu-devel:

  From: Stefan Hajnoczi <stefanha at gmail.com>
  Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 11:24:13 +0100
  Subject: Why QEMU should move from C to Rust (clickbait alert ;))

Or via:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2020-08/msg00800.html

One of the interesting parts of the discussion was the idea of writing
more device emulation in Rust. This is an idea that has been talked
about before but Stefan did point me towards:

  https://github.com/slp/qsd

which is a vhost-user storage daemon written in Rust. It uses a couple
of support libraries:

  https://github.com/slp/vhostuser_rs
  https://github.com/slp/vhost-user-blk

There is discussion about if the QEMU project should host these in a
separate repository (so not attached to the main qemu code base) but as
a reference source of vhost-user daemons.

I'm going to have a play and see if they build on standard distro Rusts
and how quickly I can parity match my rpmb daemon.

--
Alex Bennée