[Linaro-open-discussions] Notes on Linaro Open Discussions meeting 4 Nov 2020

Lorenzo Pieralisi lorenzo.pieralisi at arm.com
Mon Nov 23 15:12:53 UTC 2020

On Thu, Nov 05, 2020 at 12:36:21PM +0000, Jonathan Cameron via Linaro-open-discussions wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This is a fusion of Mike's notes and my own. Please add anything I missed!
> People may well be misidentified (sorry about that).  Was very good active discussion.
> Thanks to all involved and Mike in particular for organizing it and taking live notes.
>
> General request
>
>  - Slides for all topics next time to introduce topics as not everyone on call will have necessary
>    background (and those that do might need reminding!)
>    Hanjun is sending Mike his slides (uncore DVFS) to add to the collaborate page.
>
> IORT - Reserve memory regions (RMR)
> ===================================
>
> * Shameer gave summary
>  - IORT Revision E (https://developer.arm.com/documentation/den0049/latest/) introduced new node type.
>  - A way to describe memory regions that should have unity mapping in the SMMU.
>  - Use case is a PCIe RAID card that has FW that uses a pool of host memory (hidden from OS).
>
> * Status
>  - Patches out for ACPICA
>    - Question raised by ACPICA reviewers on whether spec is final
>    - Spec appears final  (Lorenzo to check) but may be minor unrelated fix in doc to come (Sami).
>  - Patches out for kernel on relevant lists.
>    - Mail from Steven Price (Arm) - (Sami Mujawar who was on the call also involved) interested for EFI
>      framebuffer use case.
>
> * Open questions
>  - Equivalent from AMD has flag to indicate that unity mapping only needed until driver has taken over
>    (end of kernel boot assumed).  Avoids and issue of holes in address space for VMs.
>    - Huawei not raising this as a requirement, but Lorenzo observed interesting and deserves discussion.
>  - Kexec interaction needs discussions. Steve looking at this an will bring to list.
>  - Lorenzo brought up issue of IORT spec using PCI BDF (stream ID?) which may be reenumerated.
>    - Noted x86 doesn't do this but ARM traditionally does.
>    - There is a DSM that tells the kernel not to reenumerate the PCI bus which ACPI obeys.
>    - Jonathan suggestion was potentially opportunity to cache original stream ID before doing the
>      reenumeration in kernel.
>    - Lorenzo observed we may need a universal solution for all OSes on this.
>      Lorenzo took AI to go away and think about it before next call.
>  - Stalling issues on patch?  Probably only Kexec though should be careful around possible future
>    regressions on the BDF issue (not a blocker)
>  - Related DT story.  Huawei server team not interested as no DT support and can't test.
>    Lorenzo suggested looping in Thierry Reding and reference a patch set
>    (probably https://lore.kernel.org/linux-iommu/20200904130000.691933-1-thierry.reding@gmail.com/#t)
>    Huawei more than happy to have others add the DT support :)
>
> AI summary:
> * Kexec discussion - on list.
> * Use of BDF discussion - revisit here next time.

I have an update on this topic and the RMR flags to free up IOVA.

Is December 2nd confirmed as next session ? If possible 3PM GMT works
better for me; the NUMA topic raised by Jonathan is another interesting
topic for debate. Other than that we can slot in the topics that
weren't discussed last time:

https://collaborate.linaro.org/display/LOD/Linaro+Open+Discussions+Home

even though those require a bit of preparation so the sooner we finalize
the schedule the better.

Please let me know, thanks.

Lorenzo